“I brought you into a fertile land to eat its fruit and rich produce. But you came and defiled my land and made my inheritance detestable.” — Jeremiah 2:7
- The U.S. withdrew from the Paris Climate Agreement, a worldwide organization for cooperation on the environment and climate;
- The Clean Power Plan was set to cut carbon emissions in this country by 32% by 2030, but Trump’s EPA decided that was too unfair to the power companies (read Big Business);
- The EPA also announced they would loosen rules about methane gas flares, inspecting equipment and repairing leaks;
- The definition of what consists of federally protected rivers or wetlands has been narrowed;
- Two national monument parks had their acreage reduced and opened for mining and drilling companies in 2017;
- An executive order called for a 30% increase in logging on public lands; in fact, Trump will open up more than half of Alaska’s Tongass National Forest to logging and development. The Tongass is one of the world’s largest intact temperate rain forests.
It goes on and on and on… Big business and greed get the green light, and all creation groans. There are so many amazing Bible verses on creation and stewardship of the earth, that I had a hard time deciding which ones to use. So here’s a fourth: